Sunday, May 15, 2011

In a Sunburned Country

If you know me at all, you know I have an obsession with Australia.  If you don't know me, well here's your heads up.  Ever since I studied abroad in Australia I have felt connected to that beautiful country and always feel like it has a part of me.  Sounds like a cheesy love story doesn't it?

One of the girls I studied abroad with recommended to our group to read this humorous book about traveling through Australia.  Since our program was a study tour, we got to see a vast majority of the country experiencing all climates, which made the book easy to relate to.  The book is In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson, and he takes you on his own personal trip through the country allowing you to feel like you are actually there.  His witty personality and dry humor keeps you gripped into his wild adventures.

I've enjoyed reading this book, relating to my own memories of my trip there.  Take the time to travel on the wild side while still sitting in your own home.  You'll get an idea of the mystery, marvels, and mischievous adventures found in Australia.

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
--Dorothea Mackellar, "My Country" (formerly "Core of My Heart")

No comments:

Post a Comment