Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Travel Tip #4: Look for the diamond in the rough.

So I'm a little behind on blogging, the semester is winding down and I'm getting ready to graduate (yippee!)  I will be combining my travel tip and website favorites together today because they go hand in hand.

The other day, the Travel Channel posted a tweet to find out what are some favorite travel tips of their followers.  I got excited because I had a few up my sleeve that would hopefully gain some attention.  Much to my surprise, one of my tips go retweeted, which brings us to travel tip #4: looking for the diamond in the rough.

When traveling near or far, you may really want to see the glamorous, tourist attractions, but don't be afraid to go with the flow.  You may stumble upon a hidden gem in a small town or big city.  I continuously find exciting places and outdoor places local to me that very few people know about, and I love it.  While abroad in Australia, I found numerous hidden gems--mostly found by my professors taking us around.  This is a short and simple tip, but a very wise one none the less.  You will get more out of your traveling adventures if you go with the flow and discover something ten times more astounding.

I will leave you with one of my favorites gems from Australia, North Stradbroke Island.  Geology research is done here, and it is also thriving with their small local population and coal mines.  Very few know about this island, but not many venture there unless they have a reason.  It's a quaint island thriving in aboriginal culture along with some of their more modern day residents.  Koalas run wild and you will not find an ounce of light pollution at night.  In the later hours of the night away from public shores, by light of a small flash light you will find dolphins coming up to the shore line.


Above:  A beautiful view of North Stradbroke Island

Left:  Sunset on Straddie
















Stay up to date with the Travel Channel!
Website:  travelchannel.com
Twitter:  @TravelChannel
Facebook:  facebook.com/travelchannel

1 comment:

  1. i gave you the versatile blogger award, check here to see what it is! http://bit.ly/kHI9W4

    <3b

    ReplyDelete