Saturday, July 30, 2011

What's for dinner?

The age old question of what's for dinner.  This week I got to experience two dinners inspired by two different regions miles from where I live.

My aunt and uncle from Louisiana are in town for the week, and my uncle being born and raised Louisiana thought it was only appropriate to share his love of Cajun food.  My aunt served us all with some homemade jambalaya, craw fish pie, and Cajun shrimp.  Since I'm not a huge fan of fish, I passed on the craw fish pie--even though everyone else said it was absolutely delicious.  I did eat the rest though.  The Cajun shrimp was amazing, perfect kick of spices and southern zing, just how one may imagine Cajun food making your taste buds go wild.  The jambalaya was a nice pallate cleanser, neutralizing the spices of the Cajun shrimp.  Altogether, a wonderful southern home style meal.

This week, I also took my love of Italian food and created a delicious meal for my mother and I while my dad was out golfing (he missed out!). 

So for inquiring minds, here's my little recipe to make a delicious Summer Pesto Pasta.  Also a healthy meal!

You will need:
One garlic clove
Basil
Whole wheat thin spaghetti or capellini
Feta cheese
Cherry tomatoes
Zucchini
Pesto Sauce
Salt & Pepper
Olive Oil

-Boil whole wheat thin spaghetti or capellini until it is al dente (moderately soft, still semi-chewy.)

-Peel & slice a zucchini, place round slices on a cookie sheet (sprayed with cooking spray).  Drizzle some olive oil over top, season with pepper and basil.  Broil in the oven for 10 minutes on eat side.

-Slice cherry tomatoes into fourths.

-Once zucchini is finished, let cool for 5 minutes and cut into halves or fourths depending on size.

-After pasta is drained, mix in enough pesto sauce to coat the spaghetti.  It's not meant to be overly covered in sauce.

-Mix in feta cheese, the cut cherry tomatoes, basil, fresh pressed garlic, pepper, salt, and zucchini.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment