Thursday, March 17, 2011

A family favorite vacation.

Ocean City, MD--boardwalks and beaches for miles, and one of the favorite places my family LOVES to travel.  So here we are kickin' of Throwback Thursday with the first vacation that I can remember off the top of my head.

I was 3 or 4 years old for this vacation, seeing that my younger cousin wasn't born yet and she's 5 years younger than  me.  So this probably took place summer of 1992 with my crazy family--aunts, uncles, and a couple cousins.  That's right we used to do it big each summer--the loud, obnoxiously large group of vacationers.  We often stayed at a hotel right on the ocean front called the Carousel, which I loved because of my fascination with their indoor ice skating rink.  I had never seen an indoor rink, especially in the middle of summer!  I thought that was even more exciting than going out to the beach!  I remember my mom saying, "Caitlin, we're at the beach, we can ice skate at home in the winter--we don't  have a beach at home!" "But mom!  It's inside and it's summer!" I cannot believe how amazed I was but that ice rink.  My older cousin Ashley and I stood out in the hallway a few times mesmerized by the skaters below while we would sip iced tea.

Our hotel had a post-card view of the boardwalk and the beach, and the atmosphere setting tone of those gawking seagulls.  We would spend early mornings on the beach, and come in around 1 p.m. to hide from those dangerously strong rays of sun while we would eat our lunch.  After lunch we would venture down to the boardwalk and rent bicycles or our ever favorite multi-seated pedal cycles or surrey bicycles (there are a few names for them).
image: www.primekarts.com

Yeah one of those bicycles, but image it bigger.  We would have an extra row of seating, and lucky little me got the opportunity to sit in the basket in the front.  I'm sure we were quite the image rushing down the boardwalk.  Two or three surrey cycles, loud females, males attempting to speak over the women--oh I'm sure we were louder than all the seagulls in that area.  We were like our own little brigade on a mission to enjoy the finest tourist attractions of all.  Just thinking back on it makes me chuckle.

One more memory I have from this trip is a picture of my older cousin and I, while she's trying to brush out my hair.  I wish I had that photo on me at the moment because it is hilarious.  My mom snapped a picture while my cousin Ashely was brushing my hair--Ashley full of smiles, while I was clinching my teeth and grinning most likely in pain.  It's just the little, silly memorable things I remember which remind that it was a great vacation and a fun place to go.  It really is the little things that do count and make the memories.  As my post comes to a close, don't fear, there will be more from Ocean City as it is a family favorite.


2 comments:

  1. i seriously LOVE OCMD. i think it's kind of forgotten about when it comes to nice beach towns on the eastcoast. it's the first beach i've ever been to. i took Joe there last year for his first beach-visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it really is such a fun place and i definitely agree that most people forget about it. i haven't been there in years! i need to go again soon!

    ReplyDelete