Friday, April 29, 2011

I believe.

I don't wear pink simply because it's a trend--I have a reason and a passion. I know I am making a difference with my sisters. The day I stop wearing pink is the day they find a cure for breast cancer.

This Friday brings a special extra post since I am heading on a quick day trip tomorrow to Indianapolis, IN with a lot of my wonderful sorority sisters.  This trip is different than any other trip I've been on with an extremely special reason behind it.  Earlier this year, in January, 7 of my sisters headed to Indianapolis to donate breast tissue and blood to the Komen for a Cure Tissue Bank at the IU Simon Cancer Center.  Only 7 were able to attend because of such short notice, but because of their wonderful experience and our entire chapter's excitement we got the opportunity to attend their second donation collection for this year. (which they only do twice a year)  The tissue bank takes all the donations of breast tissue and blood to a lab where tests will be ran in order to understand how someone gets breast cancer and what can be done to fight this terrible disease.

Our philanthropy in Zeta Tau Alpha is Breast Cancer Education, Research, and Awareness--and as you could imagine we spend many hard, working hours towards our cause.  Each year, my chapters hosts the annual Pink Ribbon Cheer Classic to raise money for our philanthropy.  This cheerleading and dance exhibition is held to honor those still in the fight, those who have conquered it, and remembering those who fought until they could no more.  Since it's inception 10 years ago, we have raise well over $400,000, which is very impressive coming from a smaller chapter on a commuter campus in a community that is trying to come back to life.  I am so proud to be who I am today, and love donating my time and efforts to this cause.  I have a friends and family members who have been affected by this disease, so it definitely hits close to home.

So tomorrow I will be on a bus to donate my blood and tissue to help find a cure.

I believe a cure will be found.
I believe my sisters make a huge impact.
I believe I am helping find a cure.
I believe we are one step closer everyday.
I believe one day no one will ever have to be faced with this disease ever again.


Check out more about the first donation in January and the donation bank:
komentissuebank.iu.edu
thejambar.com/
vindy.com/

2 comments:

  1. yay i love you! i am so proud of you for taking the time and being so brave to go 6 hours away to an unfamiliar place to donate for such a worthy cause. one day, the world will be a better place because of the things we're doing now :)

    <3b

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm proud of you too missy! you were so nervous, but came out a champ:) i really do believe the world will be better one day because of all we've done. love you!

    ReplyDelete