Monday, April 25, 2011

Flying Solo

The first time I flew on a plane on my own was an experience all on it's own.  Of course I have been on other flights here and there with my parents or some friends, but never alone.  This was the summer of firsts for me, I was doing my first big trip and all on my own--I was heading to Australia.  The trip itself was a leap of faith; about 6 weeks in a country with no one I knew, as you could imagine my parents were thrilled! (yes that was very sarcastic--my parents were beyond worried.)  Flying across the country and the international dateline was more of a manic adventure than I would have ever imagined.

On June 4th, 2009 I showed up to the Pittsburgh International Airport with my monstrous suitcase and a backpack carry-on.  It was a fiasco as soon as I showed up!  I flew all red-eye flights, my first flight wasn't until 6:30 p.m., but the airport was crazy, as usual.  Internationally I would be flying Air New Zealand, but domestically I had no clue!  In a small panic, I was frightened I would miss my flight, my online booking did not clearly show I would be flying American Airlines.  After a moment of panic, a polite attendant helped me out.  After checking in and hanging by the gate, I was finally boarding the longest flight I had ever been on: 5 hours to the LAX.  Yes, my flight to LA was the longest flight I had ever taken, until I had to swap planes and head across the Pacific.  While on my flight to LA, a mother was trying very hardly to set her 15 year old son up with.  Wisely, I turned my iPod on and pretended to sleep.  Upon landing our captain had informed us we were running a little behind, checking the time on my phone I realized I only had 45 minutes to find my way out of one terminal, search for the next one, and hopefully find my gate.

I grabbed my backpack, and ran out of the terminal.  Being in the sleepy state I was, I paid no attention to what terminal I had left and only knew I had to be in terminal 1.  Standing on the street outside of LAX, another kind attendant saw my distressed look and asked if she could help.  After feeling slightly stupid, she kindly showed that I had just left terminal 2, and terminal 1 was only a few feet away.  I bought some food right outside my gate to save for the plane, called my parents, and within minutes I was boarding my 12 hour flight to Auckland, NZ.  As I found my seat, I found myself lucky to be sandwiched between two Aussies!  I only remember Simon from Perth, OZ because he was rather nice looking and very friendly.  Him and I had struck up a conversation for some time, until I felt the Eastern time zone catch up to my body.  Sleeping for endless hours, skipping dinner, and forgetting about my food in my backpack--I woke up feeling slightly light headed.  I rushed to the bathroom to splash water on my face, but it was too late.  As soon as I locked the bathroom door I had a momentary blackout, scary as all hell when you're flying above the Pacific Ocean.  I woke up in a panic, thinking my feet were dragging on the runway--oh yeah very trippy black out.  I splashed water on my face, sat back down and ate a granola bar, then slept until breakfast.  I scarfed down the flight meal that was distributed, and felt so much better.

Upon landing in Auckland, I found it was a new day, and also found that I totally skipped June 5, 2009.  That's correct--I never lived on June 5th, 2009--how's that for a fun fact?  Auckland's airport was very small, so I managed to work my way through it very quickly.  After an hour of waiting, I was finally boarding my flight to Australia!  This flight was only 3 hours, so very short compared to what I had gone through.  I was so excited I could not even think of sleeping.  Once I landed in Australia was where the fun began.  I walked around the Brisbane airport jet lagged and confused for a good 20 minutes until I found the exchange station so I could get some Australian cash.  Another 20 minutes later, I found the train that would take me to Robina which was about 45 minutes away.  After arriving in Robina I flagged down a taxi to take be to Bond University, where I would be staying for 2 weeks of my visit.  I was amazed by everything I saw, Australia was so beautiful, sunny, and clean.  Once I was dropped off, I attempted to tip the driver--who kindly reminded me they don't take tips in Australia.

Once at the university, I was confused as to where I had to be, but found my way shortly.  I snuggled into my dorm room, and passed out.  Only 4:00 p.m. in Australia on June 6th, but 2:00 a.m. in my hometown on June 5th.  20 hours of traveling had never been more eventful.

No comments:

Post a Comment