Friday, April 22, 2011

Soggy Summer Vacation

Seattle is known as the rainy city, when quite frankly where I live is worse than it is there.  The rain is not as terrible as it is said to be, usually a light mist, even though a lot of cloud coverage is depressing.  The winters are never fiercely cold like the Northeast, usually mid 40's-50's sometimes 60's-- I never wore my winter coat once while I was there in very early January.  And the summers are quite pleasurable with the ever-green colors and scenic, mountainous views.  This is my new pick for a quick summer trip!

Aside from the previous beauty I stated, the real reason I am heading out there is to visit my old college roommate who is from Sammamish, WA and now resides in Seattle.  After visiting there earlier this year, I fell in love with this place.  The mountains are gorgeous, especially Mt. Rainier, and there is so much adventure out there.  It's a small, quaint city capturing the city life-style while be extremely clean and just minutes from the suburbs.  You get the best of both worlds with Seattle--outdoor adventures and city living.  Now I could go on for a while about how this appeals to young and old, the naturist and tourist, but I'm writing this for the sake of "Future Friday," and what I will be doing this summer.
(To the left: myself & the old roommate, January 2011)

Seattle rests quietly on a beautiful docking area, leading out towards ever-green hugging lakes and the majestic Pacific Ocean.  If you play your cards right, you'll even be able to take your boat by Bill Gates' house!  Aside from boating, hiking, camping, and other outstanding outdoor adventures await out there.  This summer, my old roommate and I plan to take the boat out for a couple of days, head on up to islands right off of British Columbia, Canada and enjoy the sun and "post card" views.  We'll spend a day or two in the city, exploring my new favorite, Pike Place Market, watch at least one Mariners game in Safeco Field, and head up the space needle to hopefully find a clear, beautiful view of Mt. Rainier.
 (To the right: Pike Place Market, also where the original Starbucks resides!)

Seattle is a wonderful place, and for those of you who think it's nothing more than a "rainy city," you may want to give it a chance.  The climate is enjoyable and there is so much to do there.  So jump outside of your little bubble and try something new.  I highly recommend this city for any and everyone.




Mt. Rainier from the plane, Jan. 2011

Qwest field, home of the Seahawks.

No comments:

Post a Comment